Saturday, March 26, 2011

Glad You Chose This Year To Join Us...

Gentlemen,

I'm so glad that you have chosen to join us for Buffalo 2011. I never thought we would still be going 16 years following our first father & son river trip. You just never know what next year will bring.
How long will the trip continue? I have always suspected that one day my boys and I would say enough or that our circumstances would change making the continuation of the trip from our end impractical. Happily, that thought has never been seriously entertained by me, at least. Each year we have always left Jasper with great memories and inspired to do it again.

Now, entering into the forefront of my mind for the firstime, I realize that there exists two parts to this trip's equation. The first part being all of our combined, continued interest and the second part being circumstances remaining the same in Jasper.

I really enjoy visiting Jasper every Spring. I have had a relationship with the owners of our trip's flagship motel for more than just our trip's 16 years. For several years prior to our trip's beginning, a college friend and I would make this same journey, and do the same river trip plan we still follow today. It was during those trips that I realized how neat it would be to bring my sons along when they got older. On my first trip to Jasper I met the owners, stayed at their motel and rented their canoes and a lasting relationship was forged. Things have worked out well over the years. They are good transplanted Louisiana folks. Their business is conveniently located in the heart of the community. They have always provided quality, friendly service and have always met our trips needs even as our trip has grown substantially over the years. Our relationship has been comfortable and easy. When the owners and I first met we were all a lot younger. Now, I'm in my 50's and they are well into their 70's.

As much as I resist the idea and wish otherwise, I'm starting to appreciate more so this year than ever before that times are changing. Things will not always remain the same. While visiting with Owners in preparation for this year's trip I was struck particularly hard by this fact of life. The Owners have given me their assurance that everyone and everything is fine and that they are looking forward to meeting our needs this year. Yet, today I realize I must prepare myself for that coming day when the Owners may not be able to continue to provide the services we have taken for granted over the years. Such inability would not be from a lack of desire, but simply from the toll of life's journey. My heartfelt desire is that day will be delayed for many years. The Owner's have two fine sons who have worked alongside them in the business and my hope is that they will continue the business when their folks retire. Honestly, it is difficult for me to envision this trip continuing without the Owners and their family business being a part of it. Let's hope both sides of this equation continue to balance out for years to come.

Time will tell...but I'm truly glad you chose to go with us this year.

Have a great weekend!

The Founder

No comments:

Post a Comment